It’s dark and miserable outside and it’s still ages until pay day so it’s no wonder we’re suffering a dose of the winter blues. I think it’s helpful to be proactive and fight back with some feel good therapy. I am a big fan of those little things that make you smile – singing loudly to Justin Bieber (!) in the car is up there for me but if JB doesn’t do it for you here are some ideas you might like to try…
1. Do your favourite thing – sounds obvious but whether it’s watching your favourite movie, reading your latest crime thriller or dancing round your kitchen. Make time for the things that make you happy.
2. Arrange a get together – the post-Christmas period can be so quiet in terms of gatherings and social events yet I think it’s the best time to catch up with friends and family. Meet ups in December are so hurried and we spend so much time talking about how busy we are and how much Christmas shopping we’ve got left to do that they almost stop being fun. Give me a new year pub lunch with my favourite people anytime!
3. Get out and about – no point sitting around feeling blue, put your coat on and go for a walk. There ain’t nothing like a bit of exercise and fresh air to get those endorphins going!
Make time for the things that make you happy
4. Set yourself a new goal – keeping your mind occupied will help to keep negative thoughts at bay. So whether it’s finishing that novel you’ve had on the side for months, signing up for a charity fun run or cooking a new recipe, set yourself a new challenge and go for it!
5. Treat yourself – there are some really inexpensive ways to treat yourself that will cheer you in no time: a bunch of flowers, a new nail polish or a huge slice of cake will do wonders for your state of mind.
I’m told that retail therapy can put a spring in your step too – who knew? I’ve got this Charlotte Tilbury lipgloss on my pay day hit list, it’s a lovely pale shade of pink with a whole lot of shine. I’ve also found a nifty leopard print bomber in the M&S sale for less that £20 that will set you pulse racing and set you up for spring.
Over to you, how to you cheer yourself up when you are feeling blue?
PS: You can shop the edit below.[show_shopthepost_widget id=”2333696″]